Monday, November 17, 2014

Our Tiny House Solar Power Setup Part 2: Video Overview

And here is part two, people!

I was SO CLOSE to having this all ready to go last night- which would have met my promised deadline. It's only a day late though! Without further adieu- here you go!




DISCLAIMER
Aside from the basic electricity and circuitry lessons I learned in middle and high school, I had next to no knowledge of electrical systems. In 2008, I received my second round of lessons, which was more like a crash course since I had suddenly learned that the house I had bought needed to be completely gutted. I turned to reference books in the library and youtube videos to understand how to re-wire that house. What's my point? I am not a Master Electrician or trained electrical professional of any kind. I simply did several hours of research and sought out a reputable company that would walk me through the process. I want to share our efforts and how our system is put together simply to provide a stepping stone resource for anyone considering solar power. It can be done, and you can do it. What I do not want, however, is to become the "Ask Jane" of the DIY solar power world. I urge you to read through every scrap of material I provide in these posts, review all the videos, and IF at that point you still have a question, you should probably contact a professional. I am giving you my entire knowledge base- if it isn't in these materials, then I don't know the answer either. 

As I mentioned in the previous post- I would be including the more detailed "how to" videos I have found that helped me to understand how certain pieces go together. The combiner box and e-panel are where most of the complicated connections live. These were the videos I found most helpful. 

This is a super professional video that helped me cement some concepts in the beginning, even though we definitely did not need a combiner box of this size.

This is a college student showing a very basic combiner box setup. This helped us the most, in regards to our combiner box install.

MidNite Solar Charge Controller Install to E-Panel
This was a super helpful video. We don't have the same size e-panel and therefore didn't mount the charge controller to the side. 


And now, here is our video showing a very BASIC overview of our system. I talk about a lot of core concepts and tried to remember to touch upon as much as I could- but it was cold and I was in pure business mode, so most of these clips were done in one take. I didn't touch upon the grounding that needs to be done at the "power center" or within your e-panel basically. But from the video you can clearly see the green grounding wires coming from both the inverter and charge controller, which then meet at a central grounding bus bar at the top of our e-panel.  That then leads out the bottom of our utility closet and to a copper rod buried in the ground. 







I really hope I explained the system in a way that most anyone will be able to follow!
Thanks for reading!
Like Us On Facebook





10 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing all those usefull notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please can you explain the pc array in more detail as I have worked out that in series parallel you end up with 288volt at 32 amp is this correct as I believe your panels are 36volt thanks mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the useful information. It was really amazing and very informative. Keep sharing more article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice that you write about it, it's helpful.
    Industrial radial fans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Local residents and businesses can purchase solar power from this project through a new solar-sharing
    program called commercial solar panels dallas tx .
    This program allows residents to invest in this green energy source by purchasing shares of electricity
    that are generated by their own rooftop panels, or through panels installation on the roof of the XL Center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. residential solar panels dallas tx .

    This program allows residents to invest in this green energy source by purchasing shares of electricity
    that are generated by their own rooftop panels, or through panels installation on the roof of the XL Center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home Solar Dallas in Worcester MA
    are a great investment for homeowners. They provide a cheaper and cleaner alternative to traditional energy sources. The process of installing is not as complicated as it may seem. The first step is to find out what your roof can support in terms of weight and size, then you have to measure the area that you want covered by the solar panels, then you have to research what kind of panel will work best for your home, then you have to purchase the panels and have them installed by a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. home solar Worcester MA

    Project is a $100 million
    project to install and maintain solar panels on the roof of the XL Center. The project will offset 100% of the
    electricity used by the XL Center and will also provide clean, renewable energy to the Hartford community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back then we didn't have electricity, this was the first time we used a solar panel because the only important thing was that we had a light at night and the 220 volts we called a noisy electric fan was just to repel mosquitoes, so I can say that it is recommended to use them except for the great benefit of it, it saves money on the bill and it is safe from fire and until now we have it and used it in case of emergency if have a brown out.
    Local SEO Citations

    ReplyDelete